Monday, October 10, 2011

Live today Better than Yesterday

Everyone has their individual goals and ideals about success. I am finding that although I have succeeded in many areas of my life, it wasn't through thoughtful success. In reality, I now see that I blindly went with the flow of life, going about business, keeping the bills paid and taking care mine and my kids needs. Not to make light of the success that I have had in that however, I failed to take the time to realize what it was that was the void I felt in my life. I allowed myself to become too busy, too caught up in "taking care of business" that I never stopped to think about what I enjoyed doing...what was my passion. 


I think when we get to this point if we do not acknowledge this void if we are blessed enough to have God on our side, He will step in and put us in a position to where we have no other choice but to stop, dig deep down and take a good look at our lives. For me that came in the form of a layoff. Don't get me wrong, I have had a very rewarding 18 year career and I am not saying that is not what I was suppose to be doing or that I have not had happiness or that I am not extremely grateful. All I am saying is I recognize now that mine was not a thoughtful or prayerful path. I was very young, picked a career path without much thought and have been extremely successful in my career BUT, because of that success and the responsibilities of life I never stopped long enough to really take a good look at my life and if I was living the life I was meant to live.


This article, Why You Absolutely Must Be Doing Work You are Passionate About and How to Do It, by Sibyl Chavis is one that really spoke to me. It does take a lot of prayer, thought, work and an extreme amount of faith to really figure out what it is that makes you happy and to go for it. I hope if you are searching as I am, this article and Sibyl's Site will benefit your journey.


“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. Stay hungry. Stay foolish.” Steve Jobs


No matter who you are, how old you are, or how many years you have been working, this insight is one we all need to pay attention to. I have come to realize (over many, many years) that one of the most important lessons in life we are supposed to learn is that… we are absolutely meant to do work we genuinely believe in and feel passionate about. All of the good feelings, energy and vibes that come from doing what you love are important and something we should experience as frequently as possible. It really, really matters (trust me on this one …
I know exactly how blah and uninspired you can feel when you do work you don’t love). We spend way too much of our day doing work. If it’s not something we really love doing and if it doesn’t stir up our creativity, motivation and passion, we are selling ourselves short.
we should either be:
1. Doing work we are really passionate about. OR
2. Setting things up in our life so that in the future we will be able to do work we are really passionate about. It really is that plain and simple. Now, don’t get me wrong, I understand all the reasons why we may continue to do work we are not completely passionate about. i know that … we all have responsibilities and things we need to take care of we must be pragmatic we have been programmed to be “rational” its important to make good decisions and not take unnecessary risks But at some point we have to prioritize our personal satisfaction and sense of fulfillment over other things that usually hold us back from going after what we really want. And, that means if we aren’t doing work we are passionate about or if we aren’t following our dreams, we have to change things up. Today, is the day to have a reality check and make sure you are either doing something you are passionate about or you are arranging things in your life so that one day (in the not too distant future) you can do what you are truly passionate about. how do you change things up? Figure out what you are really passionate about. What do you love doing? What just feels right? What were you meant to do? Put together a plan and start arranging the pieces to do what you are passionate about.
3. Do at least one thing every single day (no matter how small) that will push you in the direction you want to go. It’s all about taking one step at a time in the right direction and not stopping until you reach your destination.
4. Be bold. Be confident. And, always remember you absolutely have the ability to do whatever you want and create your own reality. There really is a different way to live.


Live today Better than Yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you...